The Next Chapter
Starfish Family Resources Society is proud to offer The Next Chapter: Rebuilding After Divorce. This program is an eight session psycho educational support group for parents and caregivers who have experienced separation or divorce. Parents will reflect on their own experiences of separation and divorce and process how their individual experience might be impacting them. Parents will begin to consider different ways to cope with their life change in ways that support their own health and well-being as well as their children’s developmental needs.
Who Can Attend?
Any parent who has experienced a divorce or separation. While this program can be beneficial for both partners, we suggest that former partners do not attend in the same group cohort to allow for individual experience and growth. Due to the online delivery, access to a computer with reliable internet and video/audio capabilities is a requirement of this program.
What will you learn?
- How to explore your own losses emerging from separation or divorce and be able to process the emotions that come from that.
- How to identify personal strengths and challenges
- Strategies for collaborative parenting
- To create healthy boundaries for you and your children
- Identify what your child needs from you and how you can meet those needs
- How to engage in clear and effective communication
- How to implement ways to take care of yourself
- How to move forward in ways that support your own growth, strength and development
- Parents will be in small groups with other individuals on their own recovery journey.
- Parents will leave with tools to support collaborative parenting and enhanced communication.
- Parents will receive lots of tools and resources to continue their path of strength building and self-discovery.
- Parents will learn how to support their children through this process in a way that optimizes their development and self-regulation.
- Great opportunity to make new connections.
When and where is it offered?
Wednesdays from 6:30-8:30 starting February 3, 2021.
Due to Covid-19, this program is being delivered in a hybrid model – we will gather as a group for the first and last sessions* (ensuring participant safety and abiding by all Covid-19 protocols!) at the Jerry Forbes Centre for Community Spirit in Edmonton, but meet online for the six sessions in between. This hybrid delivery will allow for the benefits of in person connections while also limiting the need for regular childcare.
February 3, 2021 6:30-8:30pm: In Person Kick Off*. Jerry Forbes Centre for Community Spirit, 12122 68 Street NW, Edmonton, AB.
February 10, 2021 6:30-8:30pm: Online
February 17, 2021 6:30-8:30pm: Online
February 24, 2021 6:30-8:30pm: Online
March 3, 2021 6:30-8:30pm: Online
March 10, 2021 6:30-8:30pm: Online
March 17, 2021 6:30-8:30pm: Online
March 24, 2021 6:30-8:30pm: In Person Wrap Up*. Jerry Forbes Centre for Community Spirit, 12122 68 Street NW, Edmonton, AB.
*Pending local public health restrictions. Alternatively the entire 8 weeks will be delivered online.
How much does it cost?
This pilot session is FREE!
Starfish Family Resources is a non-profit charity that is working hard to develop programs and services to support families experiencing divorce and separation in Alberta. Participants are invited to make a donation if they are able to do so, any financial support allows our team to continue to offer programs like the Next Chapter to parents and families across the province.